Who doesn’t love a yummy piece of carrot cake? I sure do. If you happened to be in the neighborhood, there is still some left 😉
FOR THE CAKE
2 cups flour of your choice
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2.5 cups grated carrots
11/4 cup raw palm sugar
2 chia egg (or flax seed egg, 1 egg = 1 tbsp chia seeds or ground flax seeds + 3 tbsp water)
1/2 cup olive or coconut oil (we used olive oil)
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
FOR THE FROSTING
1 cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
1 lime, juice and zest
1-1.5 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1-2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
1/2 cup coconut milk
1. Preheat oven to 350F or 180C and grease a cake pan with coconut oil. Set aside.
2.In a small bowl, mix 2 tbsp chia seeds and 6 tbsp water to make chia eggs. Stir well and set aside for a few minutes to make the “egg.”
3. Then combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, mix the sugar, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar, and oil. Mix well before adding the chia egg and mix again.
5. Combine the dry and wet mixture, stirring until homogenous. Add carrots and stir again until incorporated.
6. When the cake mix is too dry add a little water until the desired consistency.
7. Pour into greased cake pan and cook for 30 to 45 minutes in the oven. Or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. While the cake is in the oven, add all ingredients for the frosting into a blender and process until smooth. Set aside in the fridge.
9. When cake is ready allow to cool before adding the frosting. Let rest in the fridge so the frosting can set.
10. OPTIONAL: top with your favorite superfoods. I used goji berries and almond slices.